The buildings that now house the Migration Museum were once part of Adelaide’s Destitute Asylum. One of these buildings features an exhibition titled Behind the Wall that tells the stories of the women and children who lived and sometimes died here. The Destitute Asylum operated from the early 1850s until 1918 and sheltered the homeless, sick and aged. We glimpse their stories from the little that is left.
Before the Destitute Asylum the same site held a ‘Native School’ where Aboriginal children were boarded and educated by the colonial government. The first section of Behind the Wall introduces us to some different opinions of the school at the time it was operating. One of the walls from the school building still stands and is part of the Museum today.